Monday, July 11, 2011

Here's to you, Mr. Robinson

What an incredible show.  That derby had everything.  A close contest, monstrous home runs, a guy in the crowd catching a ball while jumping into a pool - what more could you ask for?  And I have a new favourite Yankee.  Not that I'm a big fan of any Yankee, but it's a start.  What I said about Robinson Cano not belonging in this contest, well, as Striker in X2 once put it, "I was wrong."

What an awesome show of power.  I had no idea that Cano could hit balls consistently over 440 feet, with one gargantuan blast into the concourse measuring in at 472 feet.  Just incredible, and with his proud father pitching no less.  But the other competitors (other than Jose Bautista) deserve a lot of credit for putting on a great show too.  Prince Fielder and David Ortiz looked like they were done after a paltry 5 homers a piece in the opening round sent them to an unusual three way bat-off versus Matt Holliday.  With the chips down, Ortiz and Fielder put on a show, hitting 9 out of 10 possible home runs, all of the jaw-dropping variety.

Adrian Gonzalez was the hard luck loser in this one, but he exceeded expectations as well.  One could set their watch to his smooth, consistent, precise left handed swing as he hit balls out to right, center, and left field.  This was the best home run derby I can remember watching, and in the case of Robinson Cano, I'm glad I was wrong.

No comments: